Planked Tandoori Wild BC Salmon with Fresh Peach Chutney and Minted Yogurt Sauce
- For the Wild BC Salmon:
- 1 alder or cedar plank, soaked overnight or at least 1 hour
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 6 – 8 oz wild BC salmon fillets
- 1 Tbsp tandoori powder or garam masala
- salt (preferably fleur de sel or other coarse sea salt)
- For the Peach Chutney:
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- 4 medium peaches, peeled and cut into ¼-inch/1 cm dice
- 2 Tbsp finely grated fresh ginger
- For the Yogurt Sauce:
- 1 ½ tsp honey
- 1 ½ tsp finely chopped fresh mint
- pinch ground cumin
- pinch turmeric
- 1 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a bowl, combine the olive oil ad garlic. Rub the mixture all over the wild BC salmon. Sprinkle with the tandoori powder or garam masala and season lightly with salt. Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 hours.
- In a nonreactive saucepan over moderately high heat, dissolve the sugar in the vinegar. Bring to a boil and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the peaches and ginger and return to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring frequently, until the fruit is softened, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
- In another small bowl, combine the honey, mint, cumin and turmeric. Whisk in the yogurt until blended and season with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate.
- Preheat the grill on medium-high for 5 or 10 minutes or until the chamber temperature rises above 500º F/260º Rinse the plank and place it on the grate. Cover the grill and heat the plank for 4 or 5 minutes, or until it starts to throw off a bit of smoke and crackles lightly. Reduce the heat to medium.
- Place the wild BC salmon fillets on the plank, making sure there’s some room between each for heat circulation. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes or until the fish has an internal temperature of 135º F/57º C. Serve with the chutney and yogurt sauce.
Provided by: Ron Shewchuk
International Barbecue Champion and Cookbook Author, North Vancouver, BC
As featured in his new cookbook PLANKING SECRETS – How To Grill With Wooden Planks For Unbeatable Barbecue Flavor, published by Whitecap Books, 2006.